Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It's raining, it's pouring...

and yep I am happy about it...we got teased last night with thunder, lightening, but NO rain. We need it, the pollen has been horrible! So I am ecstatic to hear the pitter patter...more like sploshing if rain on the roof, just hope the little one stays asleep.

I also can't believe my Spring Break is almost over...where did it go?!? I have to admit I have not done much...okay nothing "teachery" unless you count making buckets for teachers. I am so thrilled to be so busy! My husband joked, what would I do if I didn't have these breaks to catch up and get ahead on these orders?!? Well I don't think I would have even started my other business had I not been a teacher. This week does mark my "year anniversary" of making my first bucket...and I can't believe how far this little business has come!

I brought home my school laptop so that I could look through my files and see what I would like to update to post on my TPT and TN site (way behind on that stuff), as well as see what I would like to share with all of you, and BINGO...I found it! I don't know why I didn't think of posting/writing about these things before?!?!

I am sharing with you two of my favorite checklists that I have made and used. I usually put these into place for a student as an intervention. This is considered Tier I in our complicated, massively confusing, and drawn out RTI (Response To Intervention) process. But I am a firm believer in checklists! When a student is struggling to stay on task or keep up one of my first interventions is checklists. These help keep the students on task, organized, and help with behaviors. Not to mention how it helps with your "documentation".

So the first one is an organization schedule...I find that the transition from second to third can be very difficult for some...and even the agenda isn't helpful, they need one more step...an little more organization and a few reminders. (the picture is cut off a little on the side, but the document is good!). I would set up a few incentives for the student sometimes daily or weekly, depending on the student and situation. The students would keep these in their binders inside a page protector. (click to retrieve)


The next checklist is very effective! It is a task list checklist. There are two per sheet and and you use one per week. I would print and cut a few of these, cut a file folder in half, and staple them inside. This way once all were used I would simply file the "booklet" into my files and give a new one. This would also keep the checklists in order, one place, and somewhat neat.

The way it works...directions are also located on the sheet itself. For every subject or activity the student can earn a green dot (used a marker) or a red dot. They earn a green dot for completing HW in that subject (if assigned), stay on task (not to be redirected), and complete any classwork assignment during that time. If they do not complete one of these things then they receive a red dot and the teacher can make a comment on the lines provided below. I discuss these with the parents and get them involved as well. The parent can make daily or weekly incentives with the student for earned green dots (space provided at the bottom of the list). I usually make a weekly incentive with the student for earned green dots. They point is to increase the amount of green dots the student tries to earn daily/weekly. There is also an area for the parent to initial daily.
(click to download)


Hint for viewing/downloading. Once you click on the image and it takes you to Google Docs, on the right side click on File then Download...it will let you open/view it as an Adobe file and it will look right...with lines and all!


Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica